How To Get Your ¥100,000 COVID-19 Payment



After much deliberation, the Japanese government recently agreed an economic stimulus package to help residents of Japan through the COVID-19 crisis, amounting to ¥100,000 per person.


Can I get it?


As long as you’ve got a valid residence card, you can claim your share of the stimulus package – no matter how long you’ve been living in Japan. You, and other members of your household, will need to have been registered on the Basic Resident Register as of April 27 2020 – the ‘head of household’ will be the person who actually receives the money. 


How do I apply?


Keep an eye on the post – your household’s application form will be mailed to you. You’ll need to fill this out and return it to your local government office. The form should also include a link to apply online, available to those who’ve got a My Number Card. You’ll need to provide a copy of your official ID, so that your local government officials can verify the correct head of household and make the payment accordingly.


How will I receive the money?


Payments will be made via bank deposit, so be sure to provide your correct details. The Japanese government has not yet released full information about mooted plans to allow residents without a bank account to receive the payment in cash.


For clarification on the application process, you can call the government’s dedicated hotline on 03-5638-5855. Right now, this service is only available in Japanese. 


What if I can’t pay my Mobal bill before I get the money?


If your income’s taken a hit due to the COVID-19 pandemic, get in touch with our Customer Support team. They’ll be able to advise you on the best way forward and offer you the best options available to you in your own circumstances. We’ll do everything we can to help you out where possible!


Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.