Passport FAQ

There are many questions that people may ask when it comes to a passport. One of the more important questions is replacing a lost or stolen passport. If the individual is abroad when the incident happens, they need to automatically contact the U.S. Embassy in that country. The Embassy will walk them through the steps of proving their identity and getting a new passport issued. If the passport was lost or stolen in the U.S., they need to contact the U.S. Department of State toll-free at 1-877-487-2778. They can also contact their local Passport Agency and fill out a form detailing the loss.

Another question involves simply getting a passport. To get a new or first time passport, the user needs to fill out a form at the Passport Agency in their area. They also need to bring proof of citizenship, current picture ID, two photographs, and the fee associated with the passport. Those under the age of 16 are considered children. They need to bring the same things as an adult, but also their parent or guardian. The parent/guardian has to provide proof of their relationship, their own picture ID, and also sign a form giving parental consent.

Expedited passports are available from the Passport Agency and other locations that provide the service. The individual simply needs to sign a form and pay an additional fee on top of the regular fee to pay for the quick process and delivery of the expedited passport. Name changes are handled a little differently. The passport holder needs to show proof of their name change, complete a new form, and bring two new photographs.

To get additional pages, the passport holder must complete a form and mail in the form and their passport. The new pages will be added and the passport returned to the sender. Passport renewals can be completed in person at the Agency or through the mail by filling out a specific form and fee.

The U.S. Department of State is the best source of information on U.S. passports. The website includes information on changing the name on a passport, getting a new passport, and lots of other questions travelers ask. They also list all the forms discussed here.

The Passport Applicant Information page on the U.S. Post Office website is another great resource. This lists the fees associated with getting one, where to get a form and how to pay for the passport.

There are also several companies working outside the government that can help travelers get a passport or replace a lost one. A few of those websites include American Passport Express, Passports and Visas, Passport Express, Travel Visas, and Get a Passport Now.

Those living in the UK or with UK citizenship can also find answers to their passport questions by visiting The UK Passport Center. This is similar to the U.S. website except that all the information provided is for UK citizens. They answer questions on getting a passport and expediting the process.

The Passport Center is also helpful because it answers questions on obtaining the first passport and getting a passport for children. The Passport Acceptance Facility Page is another resource for travelers planning a trip. This allows users to search for facilities in their area and find those that take pictures and those that have handicap access on site.

Before traveling with your passport you may want to look at getting an international cell phone to ensure you can be contacted by friends and family wherever you are in the world. World phones bring you a peace of mind while traveling which cannot be achieved through other means.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.