1. How not to get confused by the time difference
Regarding time zones. I wear a watch when I travel internationally that has two faces. I set one for my home time and the other to the time zone where I will be traveling. That way, if I want to call home, I do not wake a family member up in the middle of their sleep night and I always know what time it is in the country where I am traveling. These watches are not expensive and can be purchased online from Magellan’s or Travel Smith.
Shirley B. Vanderbeck
2. How to give your luggage a better chance of finding you again if lost
Place an itinerary in every suitcase or item that may be hung up or that you carry:
- Name, local address and phone number
- Departing from/ to, airline, flight number and time
- Returning from/to, same as above
- Name of hotel, address, phone number and the dates you will be there.
3. Why you should own a “carry-on” bag rather than rely on your purse
Instead of carrying a purse on flights, I use a large canvas beach bag and pack the empty purse. Airlines consider it to be a “personal item” and it holds a lot more than a purse. I put light items in the bag and heavier items in the carry-on. I can fit a lot more in my carry-on that way and the bag does double-duty as a shopping bag once I reach my destination.
4. How to never be cold on a flight again
I’m always cold on planes so I bought an inexpensive shawl. It’s easy to stuff into a carry-on and keeps my hands and arms free
5. How to easily keep paying your bills while you’re overseas
Because my husband and I often travel for two months at a time away from home, I have set up most of our household and personal bills to be paid on line. In that way, I am alerted by e-mail from wherever I am in the world, and with a few clicks of the mouse, can make my payment directly from my checking account. I simply print the payment confirmation and on return home enter it into my checkbook. Nothing is ever late.
Nancy Matzdorff Los Angeles, CA USA
If you have a travel tip to share, please leave it in the comments box below…