Keukenhof: Visit the Most Photographed Place on Earth
Every year in the spring the famous Kuekenhof gardens, located in the Bulb region of The Netherlands, spring into life. With more than seven million tulips, daffodils and hyacinths, filling over 32-hectares it is understandable why the gardens have “earned” the title of being the most photographed location in the world. But with only two months each year to enjoy the park you’ll want to make sure you are prepared for your time there.
Here are some hints and tips to make the most of your visit:
- When and which flowers are in bloom is reliant on the weather so it is worth checking Keukenhof’s website for the current flower status.
- If you visit when the flowers are not fully in bloom, head to one of the indoor pavilions. Inside you’ll find plenty of flowers. While not as impressive as when the park is in full bloom, you’ll at least be able to get some photos.
- Keukenhof gets busy. To enjoy it at its quietest, get there early in the morning just as the park is opening. Late in the afternoon is also usually quieter.
- Not sure which day to visit? When you order your ticket online you don’t have to select a date. The ticket is valid for one visit on any day during the Keukenhof season. So you can always rearrange your schedule.
- Ordering your ticket online saves you from having to wait in line at the entrance.
- Boat trips through the bulb fields depart from the windmill within the grounds. Spots are limited, so get there early to buy a ticket.
- Not a fan of boats but happy to cycle? Bikes can be rented from the main entrance and routes ranging from five to 35-kilometers are signposted throughout the area surrounding Keukenhof.
- For something extra special, DDA Classic Airlines runs flights over the bulb fields.
- From Schiphol Plaza or Leiden Central Station you can take the Keukenhof Express – a fast, non-stop service to the main entrance of Keukenhof. Four to 12 buses run per hour. For alternative public transport options, use the website 9292 (http://9292.nl/en/) to plan your journey.
- A combi-ticket gives you access to Keukenhof and a ticket for the Keukenhof Express.
- There are several large parking lots at Keukenhof. You will need a ticket to exit (available online or from the ticket office).
- One day during the season is the flower parade (check the date on the website). The parade is free to watch and visitors to the park are allowed to leave for the parade and then re-enter the park.
Links to Sources:
DDA Classic Airlines: https://www.dutchdakota.nl/en/
Leave a reply